For some reason, a lot of people have trouble getting the shoulders to gain mass and look great. There are plenty of movements both free weight and machine that can help you gain size, but if you have been trying that with limited success, you might try some different exercises.
- Press, Push-Press, and Jerk – These 3 olympic lifts are some of the best for gaining size and increasing muscle mass. Done correctly, the core is engaged and overall strength can be increased. By utilizing all three, you can increase the weight beyond your initial fail points.
- Handstand pushups – There is no better feeling than being able to do something that not many people can. Handstand pushups are great for adding strength, but also working the smaller muscle groups of the arms.
- Sumo-Deadlift High Pulls – When getting the weight from the ground to under your chin, you must utilize your core and your entire shoulder ball. These are great for increasing the entire back area also.
- Wall balls – comleting a full squat then throwing the ball overhead after standing to full extension uses your legs, core and shoulders to their maximum. Try to get a 20 pound medicine ball to hit a target 10 feet tall with tax even the best shoulders.
- Pullups – A staple in every workout should be pullups. They work the entire upper body and will work on the rear shoulders extremely well.
- Rowing – A good rower and a quick pace will burn the arms and work a cardio portion at the same time. It is important to try and touch your elbows together behind your back at full extension.
Adding these movements to your shoulder workouts will help to confuse your muscles and keep things interesting during your workouts.