So you want to build some muscle but are not sure about nutrition? Often times you will hear that nutrition is 80% of peoples success and training is only 20%. This may be true to an extent.
Certain foods react differently in the body and cause extreme results, both negative and positive. The best foods for building muscle can vary depending on the person but there are some staples you will find in every bodybuilders kitchen.
Best Foods For Building Muscle:
- Fish: Why fish? Most fish is extremely lean and high in protein. Choosing white fish means you get almost no fat, no carbohydrates, and tonne of protein. Most fish is 20% protein! If you choose a fatty fish such as Salmon, consume in moderation as it contains a high amount of fat (good fat but too much can be detrimental). Most fish can be easily cooked in the microwave making it a convenient option when on the go.
- Chicken: Chicken is another lean option often yielding no carbohydrates or fat but plenty of protein. This is one of the best foods for building muscle hence why most bodybuilders have plenty of this ready to eat whenever they need it.
- Eggs: Eggs contain high amounts of protein and are high in saturated fat (this is good). The saturated fat in eggs along with the amino acids from the protein are great for maintaining healthy testosterone levels. This hormone is essential for building quality lean muscle.
- Sweet Potato or Yam: This is one the easiest foods to cook. All you need is a paper towel and a microwave and you have yourself a lean source of carbohydrates. 100g of sweet potato has only 20g of carbohydrates. Compare that to bread that has is roughly 40% carbs, sweet potatoes are a good option for anyone looking to make lean gains. This is why it made a the list for best foods for building muscle.
- Broccoli: Not many people get excited over broccoli but lets change that now! Broccoli is great! Per cup it yields only 4g of carbs yet a whole lot of essential nutrients that are extremely beneficial to our bodybuilding goals. Try steaming broccoli in the microwave and add some Morrocan seasoning to create a dish worth talking about. You can eat plenty of this vegetable without worrying about weight gain and the fiber will keep you full for longer.
Those are my 5 best foods for building muscle. The list could go on but the above foods are the staples in any bodybuilders diet. Play around with the flavours. Add some Cajun seasoning to the meats to make it exciting. Sugar-free BBQ sauce is great option that offers little to no calories. Food doesn’t have to bland. Mix things up, try new herbs and spices and these foods will make building muscle so much easier.